Ten Rules for Good Training
- If you are in a bad mood or irritated with someone, don’t train your dog. It will be tempting to take it out on your dog.
- If your dog is too full of energy to concentrate, exercise him before training.
- Make sure your dog is hungry when you start training.
- If you feel yourself losing your temper, STOP.
- Read your dog carefully so you know when he is becoming stressed. Signs of stress might be looking away from you, partially closing his eyes, droopy tail or trying to get away from you. If you see this – back up and make the exercise easier.
- If you are having trouble with one part of the training, move on to something else and come back to the trouble spot later.
- Be more stubborn than your dog is.
- Be 100% sure that your dog understands what you want before assuming he is choosing not to obey you.
- You must pay as much attention to your dog as you expect him to pay to you.
- Always end your training session on a good note.
The Things You Should Know to Take Proper Care of Your New Puppy
- All puppies should have a crate. A crate is like a playpen for a child, it is their safety place, as well as yours. I'm sure you wouldn't let your toddler run through the house without watching them.
- When potty training, remember you do not leave water down all the time. DO NOT give puppies too much water, they can get water bowel which can cause diarrhea. When you give a puppy water or food, the puppy will have to potty. As soon as they wake up, and right after a nap, they will have to potty. Do NOT play with the puppy when he's out to potty or he will forget what he went out for and come back in the house and make a mistake. When they do potty outside, you need to tell them they are good and make a big deal about it. When your puppy gets out first thing in the morning, he will usually pee, but sometimes will not poop. If you give them a little water, it will usually give them a bowel movement. Puppies can do more than one poo when they are first let out in the morning.
- All puppies, at one time or another will start biting you. This is a normal puppy thing. You need to correct them; it is not cute or funny, because eventually they will hurt you. Tap them on the nose at first and tell them no. If that does not work, you can grab the top of their snoot and roll their lips over their teeth, they realize that hurts. If that does not work, you can bite them back, and really bite them if their biting you hurt, you bite them hard.
- All puppies’ food increases as they grow. When you put their food down, leave it down for about 15 minutes, they should eat their food in that time. Usually, if they eat all their food, you can add a little more. Puppies should eat at least twice a day, if your puppy is a little thin, give him three meals a day. Puppies should get water at least 5 times a day.
- No puppy should be given an old shoe. The truth is, they don't know the difference between old and new. Once you've given them a shoe, they think every shoe is theirs.
And always remember, if you have a problem, I am only a phone call away. If I don't know the answer, I will find it for you!